WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm 
Veteran

Been awhile since I've been on -- so hi everybody.

LOML is adament about redoing the bathrooms. One thing she wants to do is replace the sheet mirrors and replace them with framed mirrors. OK - What's the problem?

Guest bath's mirror is 6 1/2 feet long. The main bath's mirror is 10 feet long. Both are glued on :mad: They are both over the cabinets.

I see two possible solutions for the mirrors.

First, grab a sledge, break up the mirrors and most likely the sheet rock. Repair/replace wall board and paint. This will allow the new mirrors to be hung on "non-damaged" walls.

Second, build a frame around the existing mirrors (glue to glass). What I envision is the appearance of 2 framed mirrors and some type of surface between the false frames that can be used to hang paintings etc from.

I don't like the idea of breaking glass in a bath - no matter how hard you try to keep it from happening -- there will be glass shards showing up long after the project(s) are over.

What do ya'll think - any idea will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:18 pm 
Veteran

I would get some piano wire or possibly heavy fishing line and slide it behind the mirror cutting the spots of glue. I am pretty sure the glue is not solid behind there.

My $.02 worth.

By the way, nice to meet you.

Bill

If a man speaks in the forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

I'm in shape, round is a shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:14 pm 
Veteran

Would it be possable to cut the sheerock around the mirrors and take it all down at once? I mean, more than likely the sheetrock will have to be replaced anyway because of the glue. If you could get the mirros out with out breaking them.........Never mind, I'll bet the sheetrock is SCREWED up and not nailed up as mine is. (I have an older house) Well, it was just a thought.

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 pm 
Veteran

You can use self adhesive carpet protector to cover the mirrors it usually keeps the mirrors in tact, broken but no loose shards.

http://www.plasticover.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
Veteran

Hi Ron!

I took 2 wall length mirrors off the walls during our bathroom rehabs-- we covered the mirrors with tape (blue tape) everywhere in case they broke and we pulled them off (gently) after first removing the screw holders and then jamming (again, gently) a metal yardstick into the crack to ease the mastic. There wasn't much on ours, so maybe you'll get lucky too

Our mirrors came off without breaking but I'd do as we did and make sure to wear long sleeves, gloves, and eye protection just in case.

The walls did need some work to rehab the finish...

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 pm 
Veteran

We had a similar mirror arrangement (although about 2/3rds the size of yours ), and I went with option B. Framed in place. Primarily because mirrors that large are very heavy and awkward to handle, and I have no helpers. I certainly wouldn't want to tackle yours by myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 pm 
Veteran

Lots of tape if doing option one. But may I suggest making a frame and
put a rabbit on the mirror side deep and wide enough to make it look framed.

WWASCAUX#1/WWAMDAUX#11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. One primary factor as mentioned by Gene is the weight of those babies! My wife is one of those who will "help" even if it's not "needed." She's been through a broken neck, halo, and surgery so I really want to keep her to painting at the most. Even if I could remove the mirrors intact, I doubt my son and I could handle the larger one. I don't know the weight but I imagine it would take at least 3 good men.

We're still considering our options - but she started pulling wallpaper in the guest bath this morning so I need to make up my mind asap.

Gene, would you have a photo of your bath with the frames (option B). If you do and don't mind posting it - I could give her more of an idea of how it could look.

Thanks again for the input -- I'll let you know when the decision's made. I did proffer the suggestion to sell the house and find one with the bath arrangement she wants. No joy! :D

Amateur Bill - thanks nice to meet you also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:12 pm 
Veteran

I'd try to get away with the framing option (not that it's likely my wife would agree.) Unless you're planning crazy-hard frames, the worst that will happen is your wife will hate it, you'll have to take down the frames and still remove the mirrors. But if she likes it, you win big!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 am 
Veteran

Have you talked to a glass/mirror dealer to determine how hard it would be to remove the existing mirrors? Given a reasonable assurance that they would get the bid to replace them they might have some suggestions. I've never attempted removing a glued up mirror but I sense it would yield the existing mirror in small bits.

I'm of the same mind set with respect to broken glass not just in the bathroom but anywhere. If I were wearing your shoes I'm opt for the frame in place option. Can you post a photo of the two mirrors? We might be able to better provide suggestions if we knew the physical parameters of the project.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:29 am 
Veteran

Another vote to check with a glass/mirror shop, that size mirror would very expensive, they may remove it for the mirror.

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 am 
Veteran

Ron, sent you a pm.

PS: If I'm not mistaken the pros use several large suction cups to handle things like this when installing or removing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:30 am 
Veteran

Whoa that is a scary job!! I would not screw around that, it could turn into a disaster. Me I'd cover the whole mirror in tape get some heavy drop cloths, safety glasses, gloves and smash that bugger up. Man good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Bob D