WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
Veteran

Hi All,

Long time, no post. Had some spare moments and a fresh wood bug bite...thought I'd share. I'm at work now...I'll post the pix later.

Late last year some moron drove over a row of 25 cacti my wife had lovingly propagated, planted, watered, and tended. So I bought a state-of-the-art video security system. I ran the camera lines from my office (the control center) to the various cameras at their roof line locations. With a nice hole in my office wall to locate the header to route the wires through, it morphed into a total office makeover featuring:

Getting rid of popcorn ceiling & retexturing.
Getting rid of carpet and staining the concrete floor.
Painting everything.
***Building new storage in the office closet*** (pix later)

The storage was the only true woodworking part of the whole office makeover other than drilling holes for routing cables and mounting camera.

Second up...this is almost pathetic to mention, but wood skills came into play so what the hey...automated landscape irrigation & patio misting system. (As long as I was doing the former, it would have been stupid not to do the other.) Anyway, the PVC pipe going up the outside wall of the house needed some good solid mounts. So I milled up some stand-off blocks that attach to the stucco and are grooved with a core box router bit to accomodate the pipe. (i.e. A recess for the rounded pipe length to fit into.)

My patio radio stand table...still in pieces awaiting a few mortises/tenons and final glue up. Oy, like 75% done and I just got too busy to finish it.

Hey, you AZ woodworkers might like this idea. When I put up the new 1/2" PVC misting system I tore down the old junky, but still basically functional, 3/8" misting system. I was going to throw it out when a neighbor suggested that I rig it up so I can temporarily mount it across the garage door. I'm definitely going to give this a try and see if I can work in some modicum of comfort on a 111ยบ day (current temp at this writing).

I'll dig up the pix and post 'em later.

Cheers!

You can't cut it longer!
My Woodworking Gallery
ImageFirst Recipient of the "Fickle Finger of Doht" Award.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 am 
Veteran

Sounds like you've been busy. Looking forward to the pics.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:21 pm 
Veteran

Here we go with the pix...none of this is "high-level" woodworking...more like carpentry (not that that should be sneezed at) which is an area where I have almost zero experience. But I'm learning...the whole point of this journey.

OFFICE

Old gray carpet replaced with dark red stained floor. The idea behind this closet storage solution is to leave room for tall items (like my guitar), and put shelves in the left & right recesses of the closet leaving the middle open to still be able to hang clothing.

LEFT CLOSET RECESS...build in progress

LEFT CLOSET RECESS...complete...compare with first pic & note the "secret compartment"....and now that I've told you, I'm just going to have to kill everyone.

(Dang, that can of Plasti-Dip on the top shelf is turned so you can't see the label. This is the coolest stuff...I rubber coated several hand tools with it including a pair of needle nose pliers that assisted in my near death by electrocution. [Hey, I got a free helicopter ride out of it.])

RIGHT CLOSET RECESS...by comparison, this side (which I build first) was a piece of cake compared to the left side. The right side took me about a day and a half to finish...the left side...about 2 months.

That bag of chips on the second shelf down is obscuring the dedicated nature of the second shelf down. (A talk with my better half is in order...a man's beer shelf is sacred.)

The wood is all scraps, the finish is "not finished"...at least not at this time...and maybe never. If I was going to do a finish, the shelf tops would be finished differently than the rest -- probably a satin poly that's been scuff-sanded *after* the last coat so items don't stick to the shelves. Items definitely do not stick to unfinished wood shelves...and this is a CLOSET. (And yes, I still need to paint and replace the closet doors...still out in the garage! This project was "completed" in Dec. last year.)

OUTDOOR PLUMBING

Not much WW going on here, but I'll open with what WW there is and then show you the whole system.

Actual wall mount.

Now for the bigger picture and a series of shots that traces the piping.

And finally the whole thing.

I have to say that my attempts at higher-level woodworking made these types of work easier for me. In fact, everything I've learned in woodworking seems to help with virtually any DIY thing I try to do. It's intangible, something I can't quite identify. It's a way of thinking that's different than anything I'd ever done before and it's contributed greatly to all facets of my life. Thank you woodworking.

And thanks for looking...I'll try not to be so scarce in the future.

Cheers!

You can't cut it longer!
My Woodworking Gallery
ImageFirst Recipient of the "Fickle Finger of Doht" Award.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
Veteran

Jordan,

Feels cooler already with a new mister system, especially today, it is very HOT. Looks like you've been busy.

Take care,
Carlos