WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:04 am 
Veteran

Started up the build on the Freedom 17 again. Been doing some experimenting with stapless clamping. (didn't like all the staple holes in the last one) Found a really good supplier for 1/4" bungee cord to wrap around the hull forms and still using rubber bands to band the strips to each other. Still going with rolling bevel on each strip as needed because that's my gig and my therapy. Other peoples mileage may vary. Rolling bevel means the angle where the strips meet changes as you go up around the curve of the hull. That has to be hand planed on each strip but only a little.

So what's with the pipes? they help with tension yes but they help to load new strips and when that strip's done then move them over to the other side to insert the opposing strip. By moving them over it holds the newly glued strips very tight to the hull forms. I ran into problems last year with just doing the rubber bands only. When I started getting up around the curve of the bilge we started having issues with the rubber band actually augmenting the curve and tending to fold the strips in towards each other. The hull bands seem to have ended that.

Rolling bevel is easy enough. dry fit a new strip and eyeball how much needs to come off and pull it out. Two or three minutes worth of a hand plane beveling and you're ready for a glue up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 am 
Veteran

Whow Tim! :shock:
That is going to be a nice looking canoe! Do I understand right that it is 17' long?
I sure enjoy seeing work in progress on any project but, it's giving me flash backs on my rocker. :D Keep them coming. :-D
How is Chris doing these days? Haven't heard much lately. Is he still in school or does he have a job yet? I know that he is busy with his "best friend" these days too. :D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Veteran

Better sit down...

Chris has graduated from his second advanced (final) year at The Great Lakes Boat Building School with straight 'A's. He now has a permanent full time job in the shop where he interned last summer between school years. Seeing as most kids his age flee that town (and he actually is intentionally settling down there) they gave him a two dollar an hour raise just for walking back in the door.

The big news is Chris has had a young lady wander into his radar last summer and they are now engaged to be married next October 2nd in the U.P. She is a very nice young lady full of grace and wisdom and a blistering sense of humor.

And from some pics at the school on a different day.

So there is a lot of excitement around here for Chris. His intentions are to stay in Michigan's U.P. (can you blame him?)

Oh - to answer your question the canoe will be around 17ft. So thanks to newly edited Michigan law I will have to put a sticker and MC numbers on it. (*snarl*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 pm 
AdminMama

tim eastman wrote:
Oh - to answer your question the canoe will be around 17ft. So thanks to newly edited Michigan law I will have to put a sticker and MC numbers on it. (*snarl*)

But, Tim, do the numbers HAVE to be of paper????? I know a scroller who would be willing to help with some cedar numbers & letters :wink: Maybe even a little wooden plaque to put the sticker in...... hollar if you need my help.

GREAT that you're working on the canoe again. I love the idea of the PVC to help with the clamping process--great idea!!!

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 pm 
Veteran

Verna wrote:
(snip)

But, Tim, do the numbers HAVE to be of paper????? I know a scroller who would be willing to help with some cedar numbers & letters :wink: Maybe even a little wooden plaque to put the sticker in...... hollar if you need my help.(snip)
Verna

Hmmm intriguing idea. We'll have to see what the Sec. of State office thinks first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:42 pm 
Veteran

Great looking work Tim! I wish I had the space and time for a project like that.

Tell Chris I'm :D with envy. Wish I could find work in a beautiful place like that. All my best to the young couple. :wink:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:29 am 
Veteran

Just leave the pipe on there and they could be like torpedo tubes!

Man that is going to be one pretty boat. I can't wait to see more as work progresses.

Congrats to your son once again. Your pride is both apparent and seemingly is quite warranted. Your son's face in the first picture almost needs the caption "I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into for the next 60 years or so, but I think it's going to be one heck of a fun time!" They certainly appear a very charming couple.

Please post more pics of the boat as they come--as you know, we never get tired of pics!

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 am 
Veteran

That is a high level project for sure! Good luck with the canoe and with the marriage! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the update.