WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm 
Veteran

Folks, I'm sorry to bore you with the details on the bench progress, but here I go again. Today I planed and cut the end panels. These were cast offs from a previous humidor build, still a non-completed project. The intended recipient is smoking mad to say the least, old Fat John will be happy when it finally arrives.

I used the table saw to cove the panels. I missed on the set up, but you might not notice in the photos. The fence is the 6/4 maple I purchased for the top, already it has a nick, the table has character.

I wanted to fit the upper tenons today, but we've had relatively high humidity this weekend, so I let that slide. I did cut the waste and trim the tenons, but I didn't pound them into the mortice just yet. Here is a end frame without the top rail, not that shabby for a wood hack.

Here are the parts, once again. You can see the dados cut today, and the panels. I used a stacked dado blade to cut the rails, a pony router to cut the legs. This week I'll prepare everything for a glue up, and hope for the best.

I feel pretty good getting this far into the ordeal without a major mistake. I know that's just asking for trouble, but I'm taking my time and enjoying the journey. And I'm checking every cut three times before making a move.

Next time I'll have the frame assembled, and hopefully figured out how to mount an end vice. I better start sketching that humidor again too.
Thanks for looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:30 am 
Veteran

Thanks Ed. I really love wip photos and you are doing great on this bench. I know it will be a beauty and you will be proud for many years.
don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:41 am 
Veteran

Be careful there Ed, you keep up talk like this and you'll jinx it for sure. Besides, mistakes only come at the end of a project when it's too late to do anything about it. :roll:

Man, that's gonna be a beauty!

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am 
Veteran

Wow, lots of mortises on that baby. Should be one solid piece when finished,. Good Luck.

ron