WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shed Door
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 am 
Veteran

Building a shed door, does anyone know if I can glue tongue and groove
1 x 6's at the t & g?...I've had people tell me definitely not but they don't tell me why
...it makes sense to me. Also can the cross pieces and horizontal pieces be glued along with screwed? I plan on using cedar. Any opinions would be helpful.
thanx, sally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 am 
Veteran

Your 1x6 slats need to be fitted to allow for expansion and contraction across the grain, which means no glue or other permanent fasteners which might restrict that movement and result in the slats splitting. This includes where the slats fit into the frame as well as the joint (T&G ) between the slats. Same for the angle cross members. Here's a on-line calculator that will tell you how much movement you can expect - http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm

Hope that answers your question. :)

And welcome to the forum :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:52 am 
Veteran

Go ahead and glue the T&G boards, then when you add the Z brace, elongate the lag or bolt holes into slots. Using the glue means you can use fewer of the fasteners and still support the whole.

While you're figuring expansion/contraction based on current and anticipated RH, make sure to leave extra room on the side(s), or the door might not close or latch in wet weather. If it's supposed to fit inside a frame, pin the center firmly and leave the spaces on either side. Pinning one end would have double the gap on the opposite. If it's an overlap, pin the side nearest the hinges and make longer slots for the part which will overlap. Choose a latch that gives you room, too. DAMHIT

Oh yes, shrink/expansion with RH is almost linear, so you can make good use of the calculator by figuring what it is now and what it will be at saturation. Oven dry might count facing south in New Mexico....