WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How Much Lumber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am 
Veteran

Looking at the wood purchasing thread below, how much wood do you have on hand? How many species, approximate BF, rough or surfaced?

Me too much. Six hardwoods, three soft. Trying not to get below 100-150 BF each, though at the moment the softwoods are low and hard higher. Maybe 1200-1500 BF of rough stuff on hand.

Don't even get me started on turning stuff....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 am 
Veteran

Are you talking about my post on the auction??

I probably have 4,000 - 5,000 BF of lumber, but not much in the way of imported, which is why I am thinking about going to the auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:32 am 
Veteran

Maybe a couple hundred bf. Mostly oak, maple, walnut, cedar. Unless you want to count the stuff that's still growing, and then it's several hundred thousand. :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 pm 
AdminMama

Well, since I'm an official member of the Indiana Wood Hoardhoarders of Indiana...........(just kidding :D :D )

So much that I'm sharing a rented storage garage with Chance......a few hundred board foot.....he may say I have more--he's a better judge of bf than I am.

Chance has a lot of walnut and poplar, I have a lot of cherry and red oak.

Mine:
99% domestic;
85% 4/4,
10% 3/4",
5% 1/4" or less

It's hard for me to pass up a good deal on hardwoods :roll:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:19 am 
Veteran

I don't have room to store much of an inventory. So what I do have stashed around is in anticipation of one or more immediate projects. I let the vendors provide my warehousing.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 am 
Veteran

I have about 50 BF or so of mesquite on hand along with approx. 50 bf of various other woods (white oak, red oak, maple mostly) but also some exotics (bloodwood, zebrawood, etc) in small amounts.

I also keep a prety good supply of bowl blanks and other assortments that I'm saving for the right time.

Interesting topic-- I can't wait for Scotman to chime in :)

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 am 
Veteran

About 3 cubic meters, but it was all stuff that was either dirt cheap or things I have had milled "cause its too good to burn". I have Queensland walnut, silky oak, black wood, jarrah, redgum, sugar maple, spotted gum, Mountain ash, just to name a few. SOme in larger quantities then others.

Yes I have to much, but boy it is a wonderful feeling when the right job comes and you have the "PERFECT" timber for it.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 am 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
I don't have room to store much of an inventory. So what I do have stashed around is in anticipation of one or more immediate projects. I let the vendors provide my warehousing.

You're not alone, I'm sure. Betting you normally get S4S?

I tell myself that one of the reasons I have to scrounge space is not just to avoid trying to stop a project for lack of a particular board, but that the wood's rough. Couple hundred of this stickered for a cure does interfere with access to that, though.

Nobody else has weighed in on the rough or surfaced question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 am 
Veteran

NB George wrote:

Nobody else has weighed in on the rough or surfaced question.

OK, I will. I have both, but usually do the surfacing myself. I'll cut to 5/4 or thicker, stack it to dry for a year or so, then restack after surfacing and/or resawing for another couple months. Seem to get the best yield that way for me. I keep it in the shed or garage for the whole time. Commercial S4S I only buy for a specific project and use it immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 am 
Veteran

NB George wrote:
...Betting you normally get S4S?

Actually only rarely do I by S4S material. While it is for the most part kiln dried, I'll opt for S2S-SL, where SL is Straight Lined. Meaning one edge has been ripped straight. Straight in this case is a relative description but it's easier to get started milling to size if there's at least one edge reasonably straight to begin with. I find it's a lot easier to get decent grain patterns and matches by milling my own dimensioned material from larger stock.

So surfaced vs rough, given that rough in my case includes some roughing out at the mill, probably 75-80% of the stuff I have lying about is rough.

I just wish there was a hardwood dealer closer than 30 miles away.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm 
Veteran

Consider yourself lucky, Dennis. The nearest retail dealer to me with a decent selection is a 300 mile round trip. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm 
Veteran

All of it is roughsawn, except for some things that have been dismanteled from former things.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:15 pm 
Veteran

My Garage: 200 feet rought cherry
At my school shop: 100' rough walnut, cherry, ash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:53 pm 
Veteran

I can understand wood hoarding/collecting as much as the next guy. And I've been known to have a good sized stash of this or that when a special opportunity comes along that requires buying a bunch at a time (like 400 bd ft of highly figured hard maple or the 1000+ bd ft of Port Orford Cedar I'm working through.) But I really don't understand the point of 5000 bd ft. Is it for sale? Is it the result of cutting down trees in the back 40? I need some help here.

My total stash is probably about 2000 bd ft at the moment, unless like Gene we decide to count the standing timber. Then it's a heck of a lot more, but all ponderosa pine - about 150 acres worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 pm 
Veteran

My Garage: 200 feet rough cherry.
At my school shop: 150' rough walnut, cherry, ash maple scattered between 4 schools.

Next year I hope to use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:18 pm 
Veteran

I can jump in with mostly rough lumber, about somewhere between 2 to 3 thousand feet mostly cedar and black walnut with some white oak. There may be some other like red oak, pine and other types. The majority is up in Wisconsin yet but my youngest son and his friend will be bringing it to Arkansas for me the week of the 4th of July. I moved from Wis. to AR. near the end of October 2008 but couldn't bring the bulk of my lumber with me then because of shortage of space and I had to build a shop down here so I would have storage room. The cedar cost me .15 a board foot and the walnut .35. I had to take the walnut down to get the lumber. I like working with rough lumber for the satisfaction I get from the way it looks when you start and what it looks like completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:28 am 
Veteran

Sheesh, Gene ... I can understand why so many folks here have such a storehouse of material. It would be devastating to get 75% through a project, misscut a part then have to drive that far for some more. I usually buy a fairly high percentage more wood than I think I'll need for the same reason.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:41 am 
Veteran

wellll.....seems I couldn't resist any good deals when I lived in nys close to mills. Must have on hand 600bf cherry(cost-$1 to $1.50bf), a good 600bf walnut same cost, also many large 2in slabs, prob 500bf red oak same cost plus many 2in boards, 300bf soft maple same cost, 200bf poplar $.85, probably 150 of butternut(free), 100 spalted maple(free), then 100bf yellow birch and...thats about it.

This sits mainly in my three car garage, also some in my mom's basement and my sister's basement. When I get around to it I'll post pics of my shop.

As I said, I bought for good price and figured wood wouldn't go bad. Good investment. Will I use it all? Who knows. Is this a gloat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 am 
Veteran

forgot to mention. All rough. like the processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 am 
Veteran

I might have 50 bf combined of red and white oak and a minor amount of maple.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci