WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:37 am 
Veteran

I'm applying crown and dentil molding for our kitchen cabinets. Seems like a never-ending process! Probably playing with gas lines too since bonehead (that's me) didn't read the installation instructions for the cooktop that clearly say "You will need minimum 3/4" rigid pipe all the way to your cooktop installation in order to have sufficient pressure to operate the cooktop." 1/2" was run and now has to be removed and reinstalled. :evil:

What are you making this weekend?

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:56 am 
Veteran

Hey Caleb,

No woodworking this weekend, we're heading down to Davis to celebrate my god daughter's 21st birthday. It's hard to to fathom that she's 21 now. It's like the line from the song,
"I don't remember growing older; when did they?".

Anyway, as the person responsible for her moral guidance, I have unilaterally decided that I should have the privilege of buying her, her first legal drink. I did invite her parents, but in this matter, I consider their input to be irrelevant. :D

After that, it's off to Key West for a late birthday fishing trip for Kris. Last year, she hooked into a large tarpon, and fought it for 45 minutes. I think that Kris was hooked harder than the tarpon, because the fish eventually shook loose, but Kris is going back again this year. :wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:07 pm 
Veteran

I like your idea of moral guidance! Have a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm 
Veteran

Started work on the aircraft, frist step a small one, drew the plans for the wing ribs. Start making them next week. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:00 am 
AdminMama

Enjoying seeing the brighter colors and the greater detail that I didn't realize I had been missing. There's a lot more stars in the sky around my home that I had forgotten were here :shock:

Thanks to my eye doctor for recognizing that I needed those cataracts removed :wink:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:30 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:

After that, it's off to Key West for a late birthday fishing trip for Kris. Last year, she hooked into a large tarpon, and fought it for 45 minutes. I think that Kris was hooked harder than the tarpon, because the fish eventually shook loose, but Kris is going back again this year. :wink:

Tom

Hey Tom,

Where do you stay while in the Conch Nation? Who do you use as a guide? Is it a flats boat? Fly fishing?

We lov the Key, just don't think we are going to make it this year due to using all my vacaton on the daughter's house remodel to rent it out.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:24 pm 
Veteran

Tweaking drawer fits and starting on the finish for the chest-on-chest I've been working on for the last 5 months. And fixing a leaky toilet. :roll: And my daughter is 37 today! I'm starting feel old. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:03 pm 
Veteran

Verna wrote:
Enjoying seeing the brighter colors and the greater detail that I didn't realize I had been missing. There's a lot more stars in the sky around my home that I had forgotten were here :shock:

Thanks to my eye doctor for recognizing that I needed those cataracts removed :wink:

Verna

A Weekend well spent I would say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am 
Veteran

Well, I don't submit it as an entry in the Fine Woodworking of the Weekend, none the less it's a project I've been wanting to get out of the way for some time:

See ""

Up til now I've had all my turning tools jostling around in a too small drawer. It's kinduva compromise of the design program. There's still a shelf that will collect shavings that will have to be vacuumed out frequently. Ultimately I think I'm going back to drawer storage only build some wider ones under the open space below the work counter in the background.

The other 'item in progress' is a vacuum veneering setup:

See ""

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 am 
Veteran

Verna -

I'm overjoyed to hear of your successful cataract surgery! I can imagine your delight in seeing clearly now as being my amazement when finally I found some hearing aids that come so closely to restoring my natural hearing. The more acute our senses, any and all of them, the more we can appreciate the richness of life.

Gene -

Yeah, I can remember my son at my 40th birthday and now I'm about to help him celebrate his! I don't know if I feel 'old' so much. I seem to notice lots of things aren't as easy as they used to be. I lose things a little more often. There are few parts of my body that don't hurt when I climb in bed. But all that's a small price to pay for having enjoyed the life I've had.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 am 
Veteran

we got the tile layed, grouted, and now we're off to San Diego for a few days while the grout cures.
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 am 
Veteran

Mmmm . . . pretty tile. I like it.

I made some sawdust yesterday.

I started on a commissioned piece for my friends mother. It's another inlaid serving tray.

I'm making this one out of wenge and curly maple. I've got to be reaaally careful on this. That's a 14.5" wide piece of curly maple. I don't want to have to scrap it!

The wenge wasn't cheap either. Better not screw up the handles . . .

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 pm 
Veteran

Just did a fence repair and got the canoe out on a new strech of the North Platte River from Torrington WY to Henry NE. I found a diversion dam and a low head dam in the process, that didn't show on my map. :roll: Still a fun ride.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 pm 
Veteran

I finally got back to working on the cabinets I was working on in Feburary when the back blew out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 am 
Veteran

Brian,

looking forward to seeing the finsihed product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 am 
Veteran

WarrenJ wrote:
Brian,

looking forward to seeing the finsihed product.

Me too. :D

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 am 
Veteran

I will be sittin on a pier at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay with a Fishin pole in my hand or pullin crab traps to catch my steamed crab dinner, that's what I'll be workin on. :D

Bob D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:57 pm 
Veteran

Gluing 47 million (that's what it feels like anyway) 5/4 planks together to make the top for the table that I have a commission for. After that, the scraping by hand starts (oh my aching fingers! They hurt already.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:10 pm 
Veteran

RixWorx wrote:
tms wrote:

Tom

Hey Tom,

Where do you stay while in the Conch Nation? Who do you use as a guide? Is it a flats boat? Fly fishing?

We lov the Key, just don't think we are going to make it this year due to using all my vacaton on the daughter's house remodel to rent it out.

Rick

Hey Rick,

We like to stay at one of the historic inns in old Key West. We don't have a favorite yet, we are still sampling around.
We love flats fishing with Capt. Tim Carlile out of Sugarloaf Key. He's been working as a guide as man and boy for many years, and he not only knows where the fish are, but where they're biting. More on that in a later thread. :wink:

Tom