WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:01 pm 
Veteran

For the 2nd Quarter WWA Contest, I would like to see what you all can do for a countertop/tabletop wine bottle cabinet. This is kind of a selfish contest, I need plans for something unusual, classy, simple and cheap to make.

Here's the list of rules:

1. It will hold up to 12 standard bottles (round 750 ml, not MD20/20 or Wild Irish Rose :D ).

2. This must sit on a countertop, table top, buffet, top of refrigerator or shelf.

3. You can use up to three species of wood--your choice (dowels, splines…etc. will count as one of the species of wood unless they are of the same species as another wood species in the project). Plywood, solid wood or engineered wood (MDF, particleboard…etc.) is allowed.

4. Once again, no metal fasteners can be used. Metal can only be used for accents. Metal accents can be used as long as it’s not structural. No brads or pins to hold until the glue dries. M&T, dowels, sliding dovetails, to name a few of the methods that can be used.

5. Modern woodworking machinery will be allowed.

6. We will have 2 categories again: 16 years of age & younger and those 17 years of age & older. The younger woodworkers might be making it for their parents or grandparents.

7. Verna will be more than happy to try out any of the finished projects....as long as they arrive filled with wine.

8. Verna will once again help me judge. We are looking for one more judge to assist. The decision of the judges will be final.

9. All entries must be the sole work of the entrant (or in the case of young children, entrants) and may not have been entered in any previous contest(s) anywhere. All entries are to be created in response to the challenge of the contest. The entries have to be started and completed in the specific time frame of the contest. Of course, no judge will be allowed to participate in the contest that they will be judging.

10. Contest is to start Thursday, April 1, 2010.

11. Contest is to end Sunday, June 20, 2010, 11:59pm EDT

12. Winners will be announced by June 30, 2010.

13. In construction photos and finished photos should be sent to the e-mail address sent by me when you announce you are going to participate in the contest.

14. If you have any questions about the rules, please PM Verna or I. I have a pretty simple rule: If you have to ask if it’s within the rules, it probably isn’t. But please don’t be afraid to ask, I’m pretty easy to get along with.

15. I have another rule at work: HAVE FUN!

I'm not lost, I'm just exploring a different route.
200 posts finally on 11-1-07 @5:15pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 pm 
Veteran

Sounds like fun.
Thanks Chance and Verna!

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:05 pm 
Veteran

Well, I guess that I haven't officaly thrown my hat in the ring so, I'll do that now!.......CLUNK!!! :D
I went to the lumber yard on Monday and bought some wood. :-D Today I rough cut it and ran it through the planer. :-D Tomorrow I plan on desiding what joints I want to use and hope I have enough wood to finish the job. :confused: :oops: :x I just hate to rush into things too fast. :D

What was it we are suppose to make again??? :oops: :confused: :oops:

I've only changed my design 3 times so far but, I'm getting there. I may be lost but, I'm making good time. :D We still have two and three quarters months to go! :razz:

Who else is going to join in on this contest?

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm 
Veteran

It's been a little over 2 weeks since the 2nd quarter contest has been announced. At the present time we only have 1 contestant. We aren't going to let Rapid Roger win for the second time this year are we? We need to spread all of the Grand Prizes around (ok, there isn't really any prizes).

Right now I'm working on my entry that is a wine cabinet made from popsicle sticks :D . Of course I really can't enter but I know that you all can come up with something to enter.

So let's get those brain cells going and let's build a wine cabinet.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Veteran

Yea guys.....Lets make this a fun, on-going thing!!!
I'm almost done with my entry and, I'm NOT going to build another one this time....I don't even drink wine!!!!!!! (maybe we could build a beer box for the next contest :D )
I really hope that with two and a half months to go that we can get some more people going on this.
It doesn't have to be real elaborate or expensive, just an unusal design and maybe you can practice making some joints that you don't usually do. A little time and sanding dust is the hardest part and we all know that there is no better place to spend time than in the shop tinkering around on a Sunday afternoon or even Tuesday evening.
Now that Chance and Verna have been good enough to get these contests going, lets show some intrest.

Rog

PS You should see what I got for my first place entry last time....It's almost as good as a "Soggy Point" from Ralph! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 am 
AdminMama

OK, that means that I can make my version!!! Watch out!!!

Hey, Mango, where's your entry???? Ralph, Sue???

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm 
Veteran

I just received the first entry for the 2nd quarter contest. It looks good, but I know someone out there can do better. So, how about getting that wood milled and get something created? You all have until June 20, so there's plenty of time left.

We still need another judge for this contest, so if you are interested, just send me a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:14 pm 
AdminMama

OK, how's about I don't judge the contest and I become a participant????

But then, I need to get Chance to my house to help me put the riser kit on my bandsaw before I can complete my entry.

Sooooo, Chance and others.....what say you guys?????

We need more entries and I'm ready and willing :D :D :D

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:18 pm 
Veteran

Go right ahead Verna. :-D No problem! I for one am in favor of keeping this contest going and if it takes someone as low as a judge to add compition, it is OK with me. :D
Everyone else has better things to do I guess.
If they cant build a wine rack in three months, I guess they are not interested.
I've already sold mine.

Rog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:56 pm 
Veteran

Roger,
You shouldn't have sold it, it needed quality testing to make sure it worked properly.

So does anyone else have one that needs testing? You still have a little over a month to complete it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 am 
Veteran

Did I mention that I'm in? I need to get past the installation of our new kitchen over the next couple of weekends in order to get dispensation for working on anything but the kitchen. My entry will be a June build unless I find time while waiting for paint to dry ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:42 am 
Veteran

Chance wrote:
Roger,
You shouldn't have sold it, it needed quality testing to make sure it worked properly. .

I checked it for quality myself and it passed! 8)
It held 7 bottles of vino, 12 wine glasses, 2 cork screws, 2 bottle stopers and 6 extra corks!! :D Besides, I stood on it to make sure the joints would hold up under a real load....210 lbs!! :D

Rog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm 
Veteran

Rapid Roger wrote:
Chance wrote:
Roger,
You shouldn't have sold it, it needed quality testing to make sure it worked properly. .

Besides, I stood on it to make sure the joints would hold up under a real load....210 lbs!! :D

Rog

NPDH :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:39 pm 
Veteran

Hey alright, now we have a contest going on. Calebmil said that he will enter the frey. Now guys, no hitting below the belt and no jabbing your thumbs in the eyes. We have to keep this clean for the family atmosphere we have.

Calebmil, I will be sending you a super-secret e-mail address for your entry.

There is still room for many more contestants: the more, the merrier!

THANKS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:11 pm 
Veteran

Good evening all!!
We are down to 2 weeks left in the 2nd quarter contest. We have 2 contestants but we can still use more. So, I’m sure with all the talent out there, we could have many of you throw together a countertop/tabletop wine cabinet.

Now I’m going to give a little hint for the 3rd quarter contest because I could use a little help. Not knowing anything about round spinney things (my projects are usually hopefully straight and square); I need suggestions for the contest. If you all could PM me with ideas, I would appreciate it.

THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm 
Veteran

This contest is a few years too late for this project but I enjoyed making it for a friend. I don't drink so doubt I'll make another.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/ ... view_click

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/ ... edia_share

Enjoy,
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 am 
Veteran

...would have liked to have taken part in this one as a small wine rack is on the "honeydo" list. But I think I may be hitting up a local blacksmith and learning some ironworking instead. (though only after it cools down from 110 degrees a wee bit)

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 pm 
Veteran

Well, I've been pretty busy at work because of the recent heavy storms around here. But, we are ready to announce the winner of the most recent contest.

But......... I going to hold the announcement hostage for a few days. I need some more ideas for the 3rd quarter contest. I really don't know much about lathe work except it goes round and round and round.

So, how about some ideas for the next contest involving the lathe? Nothing spectacular, just something nice and simple, maybe let the little ones make something.

I'd like to announce the next contest next Thursday, so I'd like the ideas by Tuesday. That gives you a few days for deep thought.

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 pm 
Veteran

Considering that I don't own a lathe but, can make round things on my scroll saw, I would like to suggest a small bowl or something along those lines.
Yes, I know that is selfish and self serving but, I seem to be one of few who is even interested in contests.
I really hope that by limiting tools used it will inspire more entrys on the third contest and perhaps some unusal ideas for projects.

Rog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 pm 
AdminMama

Hollow form vase.....with live edges.....eye candy for me!!!!

Verna