WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rude & Crude question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:06 am 
Veteran

Have been using Dave's R&C method for years on figured woods with great success - until this weekend!

Currently building a cherry and maple blanket chest. Panels are 13"wide maple with figured center area and tiger stripe edges. Rails, legs and top are curly cherry.

Applied the 1# cut shellac yesterday(reduced Zinssers SealCoat) and I noticed blotchy areas on some of the cherry(mosly on the rails pieces) and some mild blotchy areas in the figured areas of the maple. I have never seen this in 5 years of using this process. I did see some indications of this when I did a mineral spirits wash the previous day.

A suspect issue might be my ClearCoat which is about 3 years old? It looked fine.

Has anyone experienced this and what might be the problem?

Thanks
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 pm 
Veteran

Hey Bill,
Could very well be the age of the finish you are using but, more likeley, the age of the Zincor. I've always used a freshly made 1 lb cut of dewaxed blond shellac. The Zincor has an expiration date on the can.
good luck,
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am 
Veteran

You've just confirmed my belief in mixing my own shelac from flakes. You can keep the flakes around for three years but not the shelac. I'd sure suspect the age of the Zinsser(sp?) and I have an inate distrust of the "major" vendors in the big box stores and think that there may be enough wax in there to cause problems.

My attitude is why devote all that time an' energy to two beautiful timbers and then take a short cut on the finishing.

Flakes are hard to find but there are a couple of dealers on line. I ususally order one pound bags of the blond and, if I can find it, untra-blond. I mix it in a mayo jar of all things and don't know if it's a 1# or 5# cut, I just know the ratio I use and it's been effective for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:58 pm 
Veteran

Just move to a big city :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 pm 
Veteran

I concurred with the OLD shellac theory and finally went and bought blonde flakes and mixed up a 1# cut.

Applied the washcoat after I planed 1/32 off the outside of the 4 worst rails. After two hour drying time there were the blotches on all 4 pieces with no obvious improvement. I guess they were very wild grain boards that did not want to cooperate.

At least I learned to mix my own shellac!

Thanks for the feedback

Bill