WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 pm 
Veteran

well, I had fun the last couple of days fettling a couple of planes (one very VERY bad (I believe from harbor freight), one modern plastic handled #4 stanley and one still modern but slightly older #4 1/2 stanley) After getting them up and running (with the exception of the HF which I've given up on... holy CRUD that is one bad plane... I'm not sure when/how/why I have it... I may put sandpaper on the bottom as a joke)

Anyway, I then bandsawed a bit off of 2 sides of a 3x3 square of narra and then had fun making the four sides
1. Square to each other
2. 2.5 inches across
3. Perpendicular to each other
4. Straight....

... all with the 3 planes (I put a round on the HF and used it like a scrub plane, and had the 2 smoothers set to different tolerances--- one quite heavy to use as an impromptu jounter and one as a smoother)

This was not as easy as I anticipated and I overshot on one bit (I created a twist and had to go thinner to take out the twist... I was still learning how to use my winding sticks)

By my final sides and sweeps with my finest tuned smoother (the #4) I was getting whispy shavings and could predictably move around the grain and adjust my speeds to remove/alleviate tearout etc.

Anyway, I had fun and just wanted to share.... all of this is mental exercise for a couple of upcoming projects (arts and crafts display case from the recent fine ww'ing mag which I am adjusting to use as a media center, and a wooden plane I am building as soon as my blade arrives)

Thanks for listening to me blather on... I didn't make anything but a square(ish) piece of wood, but I sure learned a lot

Lawrence

Post subject: Lovely piece of wood.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 am 
Veteran

That piece of wood looks interesting.
And the workbench too, isnt it a Swedish Sjöbergs?
Anders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:29 am 
Veteran

Hey Lawrence,
You just got yourself hooked on planes ... methinks ....:>)
Very similar experience about eight years ago when I built my bench. Once you learn the process of hand-milling pieces and then learn how to quickly and easily tune the plane to do what you need done ..... you'll be inclined to do it more and more. Last semester I took Furniture Making 101 and this semester it's Furniture Making 105. Our teacher, http://russfilbeck.net/ , gave each of us a piece of wood much like your test piece and said for us to practice using planes on it until it was gone. Some operations in building furniture are best done with a hand plane. I'm getting to watch 20 other folks do what you've been doing and it's great. I doubt I could produce much, if any, furniture without machines but using hand tools brings a joy and a sense of personalization that make woodworking the most fulfilling activity I've done.
good luck,
don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
Veteran

I created a twist and had to go thinner to take out the twist

That is one of the greatest advantages to working with handtools ...

you work to fit rather than to measurement. It is completely freeing.

I've not used Narra before, but know of a couple prominent Aussies who do.

How do you like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 pm 
Veteran

Great work and a great way to blow a weekend. I spent mine "Driving Miss Daisy" and catching a cold. :roll:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon