WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spray booth
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:13 pm 
Veteran

Well now I need to build a spray booth?? My old window fan blew up about a year ago, I have been sucking up fumes in my lungs and don't like it..
The stuff will kill me yet.. I have looked for big fans but the things a expensive to buy. I want an explosion proof fan :shock: Don't know what the chances of the thing blowing up are :shock: But I don't want to find out :shock: I only need something about 6' long by 3' high with a good sucker fan... Always something to worry about..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
Veteran

I have checked into explosion proof fans. The cost convinced me to go to water based finishes. It is a shame you live so far away I have a large commercial window fan that I would give you. I was planning on using it for my spray booth but it is just to darn big.

Bob D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
Veteran

I have an extra 2 HP Dust Collector from grizzly I don't use? Maybe I will use this for a spray booth?? Just build a plywood box and suck from two ports in the back of the thing side by side?
I was reading about grizzly dust collector to see if they built them with blow proof motors? I found nothing.. Dust will blow up like fumes . Maybe not as easy but it will blow..What do you guys think.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 pm 
Veteran

You might also think about a Positive Pressure booth. Instead of pulling fumes though a fan that would have to be Explosion proof, you could have a blowing or pushing fan pulling freash air though it and pushing it into the booth with an open vent at the opposet end to vent fumes outside. With that set up, a simple window box fan could do, or a DC that has a ducted outlet.

I used to work for this company over in Englewood CO. I'm not sure what they charge for their ventilators these days but I designed some of them and they're used mostly for ventilating manholes and other confined spaces, and they work really well:
http://pelsue.com/products/ventilation/centrifugal.html

They also have a line of axial ventilators, but they don't provide nearly as much static pressure as the centrifugal ones. They also have the 1590 which is a propane fired Axial Heater/Blower that I'd designed many moons ago, if you need to first warm the air.
http://pelsue.com/products/heating_ac/heating-1590.html

They also carry explosion proof ventilators if you are worried about the fumes getting up wind of the blower, or if you want the blower to pull the air instead of push it.

However, I still think you'd do better to push in fresh air instead of pulling out hazardous fumes.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm 
Veteran

Belt drive fan with the motor outside of the air stream may also be a viable option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm 
Veteran

I like the dust collector idea.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci