WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Machine storage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 am 
Veteran

Thought I would ask the question of how to keep my machines in top shape while not being used for long lengths of time. I am currently back in school due to the lack of work in my area and I have been very busy. School has been a very, let's just say, I should have done it a long time ago. I have been going since the summer of 2009.

Now for the question, how do I keep my machines in tip top shape. I know how to massage the tops and rub them down to keep them slick and protected, but I'm talking about the inards. The motors and all the inner workings. Is there anything prescribed for them or is it just leave them alone and they will take care of themselves?

Please leave me your thoughts on this so I may take certain precautions to prevent any possible damage.

Another thought, I keep most of them covered with bath towels and on thier tops I keep those stay fresh pouches from mail packages. You know the ones that say, do not eat, not that they should have to say that, but they do.

Thanks for all the responses in advance. Have a great day to all who venture here.

"...Truth and manliness are two qualities that will carry you through this world much better than policy, or tact or expedience, or any other word that was devised to conceal or mystify a deviation from a straight line."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 am 
Veteran

Might want to spray some insect killer inside various openings to keep the bugs from taking up residence. And maybe some type of mouse poison to keep the smaller rodents from eating insulation off of the wireing.
Of course all that depends on where you are storing the machines and how often there is human contact in the area.
Just my 2 cents worth from storing cars.

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm 
Veteran

Put moth balls in every drawer in your shop, in the bases of your machines. Keeps the mice out. Also prevents rust.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 pm 
Veteran

Rapid Roger and Paul gave you some very good information, but, you could let me know what you are storing and maybe I could help you store them. I would make sure the critters would not bother them. :-D :shock:

Bill

Just had to say it, someone else would have.

If a man speaks in the forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

I'm in shape, round is a shape.