WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weekend Plans
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:22 pm 
Veteran

Well... What ya working on this weekend?

I get to mow the lawn and then some Sidewalk Astronomy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 pm 
Veteran

Tonight I'm working on the box for the lithophane-- tomorrow morning we're going for a swim and I'm hoping to spend some time working on the entertainment center. Tomorrow night we're going to the Pima Air and Space museum for their "night wings" exhibits (we love going there at night, it changes the entire experience... and we only live about 10 minutes away. At night they do lots of kids activities like building paper airplanes, launching rockets, eating astronaut ice cream, etc etc, and we all have a blast (no pun intended :) )
http://www.pimaair.org/

Sunday we'll probably swim in the morning (monsoons are limiting us in the evenings these days) and I hope to get some time in the shop with the boys working on a workbench for them

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:34 am 
Veteran

More cabinets on Sunday. Should get the other bank installed and maybe the face frame as well. Depends on how out of whack the walls are. We are installing the cabinets against a wall that was originally an exterior wall. Not quite plumb...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:08 pm 
AdminMama

WHEW....it sure is warm out there. I got the grass cut this morning, complete with a perspiration bath.

Finally got my younger sister at my house to help load my hutch into my truck and took it to her house....I guess it's now her hutch that matches her dining room table and chairs that I gave her last year.....another perspiration bath.

Now....I've got plenty to do INSIDE where the A/C is on. I'll figure out which one on the Verna-do list comes next....providing work doesn't call with more OT.

You all stay dry and cool--I'm keeping a watch on my 75 year old neighbor while he cuts his grass....don't tell him though. He doesn't like anyone to fuss over him.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:37 pm 
Veteran

Unfortunately on this, one of the hotter days of July thus far, I managed to leave to the last minute some computer work to be done in a rather hot & stuffy office space. I did actually get the edge banding on five of the nine cabinet doors done up to this point. Would hope I can devote a bit of time off and on tomorrow to finish up the rest of them. Then grain filler, more sanding and lacquer finish.

One less than tasteful project is installation of some kind of doggie dooley to take care of the ... erm .... spent dog food. Three dogs produce the canine equivalent to a beef feed lot if you don't take care of business. If anyone has any experience with such an install, I'd appreciate the wealth of your wisdom perhaps in a new thread in the Scrap Pile rather than here.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:33 am 
AdminMama

Dennis, I had a Doggie Dooley when I had a retired racing Greyhound and a Shih Tzu.

Very simple. Dig a hole per the instructions. Put the plastic bucket in the hole. Put the lid over the bucket. Put the waste matter in and don't forget the "accelerator" stuff to help the decomposition process....otherwise it smells very badly. I liken the "accelerator" to RidX for a septic tank.

It worked well, but the next door neighbor complained....but she complained about everything.....

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:38 am 
Veteran

Verna -

Dog waste management to be continued in the scrap pile.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:12 pm 
Veteran

It's done. The walnut TV stand await the Boss's touch.

See ""

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:13 pm 
Veteran

Really nice looking stand. What is the boss going to do to it? Approve :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 pm 
Veteran

Been working on my plane till, and the antique vanity.

One half of my shop is clean and organized some. 14' X 28', still have to get the cab's made.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 am 
Veteran

A pair of oil changes, built a small retaining wall to keep our front yard off my nieghbors driveway.
This strip of property is actually on the other side of the line, but we water and cut the grass so I just went ahead and did it. Robin, our nieghbor was real happy with the job.

After that, we spent the rest of the weekend on the back yard, pulling weeds, pruning trees and shrubs and spreading mulch, 14 bags of it, on top of the nearly 40 bags we've already put down.

Changed the filters in the pond filter system.

Assembled a pair of garden hose reels. Note, when coiling the hose on the reel be certain that the water is ON and the hose is fully PRESSURIZED! Otherwise, when you turn the water on, the expanding hose will suddenly over power the plastic reel and blow the reel right off the mount and you'll end up taking a very abrupt shower. DAMHIKT :roll: :oops:

On Thursday just before heading north, I did make some sawdust on the shadow box we're building. I made the back. I also got my first true kickback off the TS. I was chamfering the corners off the back, 1/4" ply, and one of the small triangles I'd cut off contacted the back of the blade and it flew up and grazed my upper arm. No real injury, just a scrape and a small bruise. It's amazing how fast these can happen.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm 
Veteran

Not much woodworking this weekend. Started turning a bowl on Friday night and blew the motor in my SlopSmith. Saturday SWMBO and I threw our annual summer BBQ. Sunday went for a long bike ride to work off all the food from Saturday then took the motor out of the SlopSmith. Dropped it off at the local motor repair place.

-Joe