WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:10 pm 
Veteran

Hey all I have been MIA for a few years but have found my way home.
I am getting a new lathe on Thursday, a gift from a friend who does not want it. It is a Grizzly variable speed G9247 mini lathe.
I have seen a picture in the catalog but I would like to know if anyone has used this machine and if they have an opinion of it.
I have been doing some wood working but never used a wood lathe. Any pointer would be very helpful.
Thanks

Last edited by Asa942 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:25 pm 
Veteran

"I have been doing some wood working but never used a woo lathe. Any pointer would be very helpful." Asa, I'm just starting with the lathe also. I took a 2-day class in Port Townsend recently, got the basics of safety down and made a few small items. For me, it was a must to watch someone turn and demo the techniques with the different chisels, how to hold the hands, use the body, etc. I don't think things would have gone smoothly had I tried to just learn by reading, the way I learned how to use a table saw, router, etc. Crazy things can go wrong when you're turning, and they happen fast! :shock:

It's a blast though, I haven't had that much fun with any other part of woodworking. It's definitely addictive! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:02 pm 
Veteran

LOL thanks for pointing out my typo forestgirl. It was late and couldn't see straight that's my excuse. I remember you from back then. How ya doing??
I have always been wanting to do some lathe work but just never had the opportunity to. So you think the classes were helpful. What was the biggest thing you came away with?
I plan on doing some small stuff. I have gotten into straight razor collecting and shaving with them and have made a bunch of wooden scales for some of my razors. Now I am looking at turning some shaving brush handles and making some nice shaving brushes. Also thinking of making small bowls to hold shaving soap. I have seen some videos on making small bird houses for Christmas tree ornaments. Fill me in on what your making on the lathe. What type of lathe you have too?
Thanks,
Asa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm 
Veteran

Welcome back and welcome to the VORTEX! :shock:

Not familiar with that particular lathe, but I know you'd be pretty hard pressed to go wrong with a name like Grizzly.

If you are looking for a good set of turning tools, without blowing the budget, try these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=35444

You'll also need an 8" grinder and jig for sharpening. I really like One Way's Wolverine jig.
http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/grind_jig.htm

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 pm 
Veteran

A free lathe is like a free bird.

You think, wow it's free.

Then you buy some tools, then a chuck, then some more tools (cuz the first one's where not the right ones) and yes you need a grinder, then a jig AND before you know it this free lathe has cost you $2k.

And there are still things to buy. DAMHIKT :D :D :D

You will, how ever, enjoy it.

I second the advice of taking a class. Check your area for turning clubs. There is a national directory, but I don't know it off hand.

HEY NAILER, WHAT'S THE LINK.

He always has it handy. :wink:

Oh, and in a year or two you'll be looking to upgrade to a better lathe. I'm on my fourth upgrade. :shock: :D

If man made it, I can fix it.
If God made it we can pray for it.

Lessons I have learned:
NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF TEAK
Always remove the zero clearance insert before you tilt the blade DAMHIKT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am 
Veteran

LOL Jeff, how true you are. I was having a cup of tea this morning looking at the Grizzly catalog and SWMBO saw me and told me to put the catalog down. She just doesn't like me moving from toy to toy so fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm 
Veteran

Sorry Guys,

I have been busy this week.

Local Turning Clubs from the AAW.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/cha ... apters.asp

A club is your best resource for learning the art/craft of woodturning.

---Nailer---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm 
Veteran

I knew you would come through Nailer. :D :D

Lessons I have learned:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:42 pm 
Veteran

Well I fired up the lather this weekend and now I have a problem. I was trying to turn a small piece of wood 2"X2"X4"
block of poplar. I marked out the center on both ends and chucked the piece in the head and tail stock. Made sure the variable speed was down low and the tool rest cleared the wood. Made sure everything was snugged down and turned the lathe on. I was very careful and went slow and used a 3/4" gouge to take the rough corners off, adjusted speed and tool rest and continued to work a nice smooth round spindle.
Good news for me!!!! NOT!!!
The second piece I put in the lathe was a carbon copy of the first piece. Proceeded in the same manner however I heard a clicking sound coming from the head stock. I turned the machine off and turned the piece around and I could feel like a flat spot during the rotation. I took the wood out and removed the head piece and replaced it making sure it was secure. I then placed another carbon copy block in and turned the lathe on and I could here the clicking sound again.
I am so upset to think that it could be a bearing going out or something like that. I have not a clue what could be going on.
Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:51 pm 
Veteran

Loose grub screw on the pulley? Bearings tend to squeak or rumble. Make sure the belt is properly aligned and the grub screw secure on the flat or the key, which ever way they have it made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm 
Veteran

Well I do notice that when I turn the head stock I can feel something click or make a tap when I turn it. It is not smooth as I think it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 pm 
Veteran

I'm with NB, check to see if the set screws that hold the pullies on are tight.

They will make a clicking sound as it rocks back and forth on the shaft.

Don't forget to check the alignment. If they are loose, they can move.

Lessons I have learned:

Post subject: UPDATE ON LATHE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:29 pm 
Veteran

Well a big thanks to all who gave their troubleshooting advice on this lathe. I ended up taking the lathe to a good friend of mine who is a retired millwright and specializes in lathes and equipment like this. We plugged it in and he said it sounds like a bit of belt slapping and he cold here the click. His advice was to return the lathe with a big thanks to the person who gave it to me. He said that the plastic gears will be toast in no time and that this is for turning real light duty wood and small pens nothing else.
So he says lets go down to my storage shed and take a look. We walk over there and he says here take this box and open it up. I did and in it was 13 real nice HSS lathe tools, 4 jaw chuck, 2 different sized face plates, a number of different live and dead centers. I said wow where did you get this stuff?? He said come back here. I follow him to the back of the shed and there laying on the floor is a Craftsman 12"X36" lathe. He asks me if I thought I could use this. I said "Are you kidding???" He said that he needs the space and I would be doing him a favor by getting it out of his shed. He also gave me a Craftsman copy jig also. He said that he doesn't need this stuff taking up space and he is going to come over after I get a bench built and help me set it all up. He even threw in the 1/2 hp motor too.
Well My eyes welled up cuz never in this world has someone ever done something like this for me. I really am at a loss for words the gift he has given me. I am in such a high I can't believe it. So we loaded it up in my VW wagon and drove her home. I can't wait to clean her up and start to turn some stuff. The first thing I think I will do is make him a nice bowl or shaving mug and brush. He is a straight razor shaver and I think a nice burl badger haired brush is in order for him.
So thanks for the input and now I'm off to the Vortex Room.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:50 am 
Veteran

Remember when I said I was on my fourth upgrade, that Craftsman was my first.

Paid $50 for it. :D

Lessons I have learned:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 am 
Veteran

who is this friend of yours and can I be a friend too???? We all need friends like that and to be a friend like that to someone else!!! Good score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:19 pm 
Veteran

Hi all,
I have got the lathe on a bench now. I had an old 36" lower cupboard and a long desk top from a cubicle that has a nice curve at the end. I removed the old top off the cupboard and reinforced the side of the cabinet with some 2X4 wood and long screws. I st the lathe up on top of the cubicle desk and placed the motor and bolted everything down. My son came over and we placed the cubicle top on the cupboard. Since the dest top hung over buy a good 4', I made some 3X3 posts for the overhang. The space at the end of the desk top will be for a sharpening station for lathe tools so I don't need to move far to sharpen. The underside of the overhang I made a shelf for storage asd I am making a slide drawer up top for holding tools and measuring devices. Funny thing is I was taking the lathe through the different speeds to see how it ran and I noticed that the lathe head is set up with 4 pulley's and the motor is set up with 3 pulley's. The diagram on the lathe pulley shield show that both motor and lkathe have 4 pulley's.
The lathe pulley's measure:
3"-2 1/2"-1 1/;2"-1" (measured from the inside part of the pulley)

The motor pulley system:
3"-2"-1" (measured from the inside also)

Question I have is: Should both pulley systems match???
I know the need to be in reverse however I was wondering if if they match will I get the proper speed that the pulley shield states.
After all is done I will post a pic of my lathe.
Thanks,
Asa aka bill